Friday, April 19, 2013

Crises of Commitment and Trail Angels

No one said that this was going to be easy. But no one told me that you will give up more often than not when you aren't even walking. No one told me just how homesick I would be. I never realized just how much I would miss fresh produce and how resentful I would become of Pop Tarts.

No book that I have read or documentary I have watched could've possibly prepared me for all of this. But of all the books I have read about the Trail, not one prepared me for the incredible goodness of the people around me. Hands down, this is the most incredibly giving, interesting, compassionate, kind, fun group of people that I have ever encountered in my life.

Yesterday was an incredible challenge. Never before have I cried so much in one day and been so sure of a decision only to have everything turn around in the parking lot of a Greyhound bus station. I was going to South Carolina to see Linds - I bought my ticket and was ready to go from Columbia straight to the nearest airport to take me home. But some combination of the support and love from Headstand, Two Pack, Goatman, Candy Pants and so many more and the slow driving and wisdom of Ms. Janet brought me back. The trail wasn't done with me. Or I wasn't done with it...or both.

Ms. Janet is my kind of woman. For over 20 years (or so she tells me) she has been driving along the trail supporting and partying with hikers. She rescues, educates and assists in our inebriation. She may be the primary reason that I am still pressing on in my northbound adventure.

It helped that I spoke with Jolly and TyeDye this morning as well - I miss them something fierce and I cannot wait for our paths to inevitably cross in the near future.

Today I walked 20 miles back from Big Bald to Erwin to make up the distance that we missed by getting off the trail to recover from the plague. It was enjoyable and quick with perfect weather and a warm campsite just outside of town waiting for us and the promise of a ride to a Mexican restaurant in the next town over with margaritas and fajitas.

I am excited for the next 120 miles into Damascus and to see what the rest of this trail has in store. Tomorrow promises thunderstorms so it may end up been yet another day off in Erwin. Who knew it would be so hard to actually leave?







No comments:

Post a Comment