Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Slack Packing To The Smokies

After the two days leading up to NOC, getting a slack pack all the way to Fontana Dam was a godsend. It gave us the opportunity to rest our knees, ankles, toes etc and put in some big miles.

Yesterday started with a decent climb and, for once, I actually hiked alone with headphones in - it was remarkably refreshing. Made the 14+ miles near on a pleasure.

Last night a group of us got a ride into some cabins a few miles off the trail and treated ourselves to Star Wars on VHS , a home cooked meal and some good old fashioned relaxation. I slept better than I have in ages on a cot in the living room.

Our day today was pretty much the same. Took it slow to let my muscles, tendons and toes heal and finished just over 14 miles by around 2:00pm. Took the rest of the day to resupply, do laundry and drink vodka tonics. And now I am warm and happy and ready to take on the next challenge up in the Smokies.

The biggest challenge over the past few days was (pardon the TMI) getting my monthly visitor and effectively putting on bear aphrodisiac perfume. Perfect. I saw a black furry something-or-other down the hill yesterday and just took off running, absolutely convinced that it was coming for me. Being a woman is the worst.

Tomorrow will be a big day - thankfully I'm with a solid group: Beacon, Beetlejuice, Trucker, Flip and 50/50. They are all quicker than me but we put in the same miles so we end up meeting up at the end of the day. No complaints here. Two of them are foresters and 50/50 is a doctor so they are keeping me good and safe (don't worry mom!)













No comments:

Post a Comment