Sunday, May 12, 2013

Recovery: Part 4 (The Solution)

After a while you just need to walk it off. I've been pampering and babying the crap out of this foot but today it was over. No more being afraid of going for walks, no more gingerly limping down the stairs. Time to tape it up and walk it off.

And you know what? It didn't feel half bad. I grabbed the dogs around 3:00 today and headed out apprehensively on a choose-your-own-adventure walk around town. For the first few hills (who I am I kidding, this whole town is hills) I walked a little off-kilter, still getting used to the tape on my foot, but once I was used to it I picked up the pace and focused on making sure my steps were falling correctly and that my gait was spot on. And you know what? I still felt off but it didn't really hurt. After two miles? It felt about the same. I almost started running in elation before realizing what a bozo move that would be. Calm down, Obie. 

Either way, my foot is feeling pretty good now and I am even more excited to get back out there. Being home has only made me realize just how much I love this adventure and how badly I want to complete it. I commiserate with my fellow hikers that have been forced to take time off to recover. We check our phones constantly, hoping for updates from our trail buddies. We keep a close eye on those hikers who we follow on Facebook so we can see their photos and feel as though we are there, living vicariously. We are unable to explain to our loved ones why, despite the pain, we do not want to be home, we want to be fording trails-turned-rivers with people we have only known for a few short yet intense weeks. If I was the significant other of a thru-hiker I wouldn't get it either. 

Less than 100 hours until I am back on the trail. I need to see my people and I need to get that pack on and continue my push north. 

No comments:

Post a Comment