Monday, July 29, 2013

Reunited (and it feels so good!)

Today I was reunited with my Red Knees and I couldn't be happier. The hiking to get to him included a pretty brutal climb up Quimby Mountain but I didn't care. I all but ran down the other side of the mountain, thrashing my knees in the process, and just about destroyed his brand new tent attempting to attack hug him. We walked all day jamming out to music and catching up. I am so happy. 

The past two days have been low key, including a zero at the Inn at Long Trail. We arrived at the Inn two days ago after a great climb over Mount Killington (the views were incredible) and set up our tents in the open grassy area across the road (well, more accurately, a freeway which we were forced to scamper across in terror to get to the bathrooms in the Inn). Once Holler arrived we enjoyed beers at the pub downstairs (the bartender can pour a proper Guinness - clover drawn in the head to boot!) before getting a ride into town for a quick resupply. 

While we enjoyed some ice cold Budweiser's at our tents more hikers that we hadn't met began to roll in. They too set up tents while causing a raucous. We introduces ourselves and quickly realized that they were the Southbound group "Stoners with Boners" who I had been hoping to run into for weeks. 

All the Stoners were hilarious, in particular Firprettius who put on an impressive fake German accent and Happy Ending who kept attempting to kiss the faux German causing him to erupt in expletives and shield his face. It was priceless. Once everyone was set up we all walked over to the bar for live music (it was largely just a singalong with about 3 renditions of "Wagon Wheel") and dinner. 

The festivities went long into the night with many hikers taking the stage and showcasing their singing abilities. I, for one, learned that I am excellent at tongue twisters and can out-rap just about anyone when it comes to "Baby Got Back" - no big surprises there. I excused myself fairly early to chat with my girl 2pac on the phone before falling asleep almost embarrassingly early. 

The next day, still sore from three weeks of hiking with no zero, Holler and I decided that it was due time for a day off. The majority of the Stoners headed out with the exception of Happy Ending who stayed and relaxed with us for the day, watching "Naked and Afraid" on the Discovery Channel (watch it - it's addicting and absolutely nothing like what we are doing out here though please go ahead and assume that it is to increase my badass rating) and drinking PBR and telling riddles. So relaxing and necessary. 

With night and rain quickly approaching and what appeared to be a budding romance/attraction between Holler and Happy Ending I retreated to the Inn to relax on the couch. When I woke up at 2am and the building was deserted I decided I had lucked out and curled up for the rest of the night. 

The hiking today was great. Kind of hard but RK was back. I cannot explain the happiness and relief I felt at seeing my friend, one of the few people out here that gets me and knows my life and whom I can rag on mercilessly and constantly. Tonight we are staying at an empty cabin atop a mountain with an overlook that looks right onto Mt Moosilauke and the beginning of the White Mountains where we will be in a short 5 days. I could not be happier to have my partner in crime back with me, rocking out to music along the trail, for these massive mountains.


No comments:

Post a Comment