Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Talk to me, Goose

So often when you meet people you can't even begin to imagine the impact that they will play on your life. You certainly don't know, though you may suspect, that they will become one of your closest friends. You can't imagine how your heart will break when you see them get on a bus and drive away from you and the trail, possibly indefinitely. 

I may have met Red Knees prior to Erwin, but I was likely still in a Smoky Mountain haze. Somewhere in Walmart I found myself sitting next to Waffles, asking him what the name of the guy sitting in the electric wheelchair shopping cart was as we waited on Ms. Janet to pick us up and return us to town. Red Knees, he said. We started hiking together somewhat unintentionally shortly after that, never actually together, but always ending up at the same campsite or shelter. 

It wasn't until after Trail Days that we began hiking in lock-step. We never talked about it but our hiking styles meshed so we just kept going. When I got back on trail after recovering from shin splints, he was the first person that I saw back on the trail. We have hiked every day together since. 

Yesterday was Red Knees last day on the trail, at least for now. When we sat down for lunch yesterday something happened and he snapped. It happens. There is a point at which you can't continue not having fun and convincing yourself that you are. At which the heat and humidity and bugs and mountains are beyond toleration. At which you need to be clean, blister-free and able to sleep in your own bed. I can't say I blame him. 

We hiked 20+ miles two days ago, including a 5 hour stop in Falls Village, CT (side note: the only place open on a Monday in this tiny town is the package store. So we drank beers on the sidewalk out of brown paper bags and ate delivery pizza. I bet my mom is so proud) and a short night hike over Prospect Mountain. Yesterday we hiked over 3 steep hills - Bear Mountain, Race Mountain and Mount Everett. The heat was brutal and we were pretty lifeless. When we arrived at trail magic with one of our hiking buddies that had gotten off a few weeks ago, Hotdog, we decided that the last 8 miles of downhill to town weren't worth it. When she offered a ride to Great Barrington, we took it. 

After a hearty meal at the brewery in Great Barrington we passed out early in our massive and comfortable hotel beds that, for once, we didn't have to share with any other smelly hikers. This morning we ate breakfast and did laundry before dropping off my little RK at the bus pick-up. 

And then there was one. There are others out here that I know and love and - knowing me - I will get chatty and find new buddies to hike with. But in so many ways its not the same. I'm on my own now and I'm (kind of) okay with it. I am looking forward to making hiking plans, spending some time alone, taking as much time as I want at views and walking at my own pace. I'm also terrified. I haven't hiked truly alone for a day on the trail, though, I guess, you're never alone on the trail. And when I think of how I have grown since I started, how much better of a hiker and backpacker I have become, I hardly recognize myself (that and the fact that I have lost an incredible amount of weight). I'm gonna be okay. I'm going to be great. I can't wait to see all these mountains and see how far these legs will take me. 





1 comment:

  1. Dear Tobie,

    Maverick...Maverick, there are bogies everywhere...Reengage, Reengage! So sorry about Red Knees, but everyone of us who is living your adventure vicariously has got your six. Massachusetts...hurray. You are really making progress. I was looking at the map and, how should I say this, but it seems you have some "challenging" terrain ahead. To use the old medieval saying "Beyond this place there be dragons." On the good side it appears that by Saturday the tempertures may be going down. Tommorrow, I am the graduation speaker at our Drug Court. I am using your AT story as an analogy to what a long journey recovery is and that you must rely on yourself to obtain success. Anne and I are really happy we got to meet and know you. Our hats are off to a GREAT hiker.

    Skip

    ReplyDelete