Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Because Survivor Dave Said So

March 22nd. That was the day I had planned on getting to the base of Springer Mountain to embark on my walkabout. Survivor Dave had other thoughts.

When you Google "how to get to the Appalachian Trail from Atlanta", the first site that pops up is one made my a man named Survivor Dave - he shuttles people to the trail. The site is simple - green background with thick curly writing that doesn't automatically adjust to the page so you have to scroll back and forth to read the sentences. He writes with the CAPS lock on a lot of the time.

This is the man that I have opted to shuttle me from Atlanta to the base of the mountain. His requirements for taking me include:

1) I did not attend Florida State University
2) I do not root for the Jets, Patriots or Bills.

He didn't sound thrilled that I was a Redskins fan but he agreed to pick me up. Not on my terms, mind you, but for $115 he will pick me up.

The original thought was to fly in, spend the night in Atlanta. In the morning, bus to Gainesville and spend the day there. Rest for one more day and then catch a shuttle to the trail.

This was not Survivor Dave's plan.

Survivor Dave is a busy man. He informs me that I will be taking the MARTA to North Point and taking a cab from La Quinta Inn and Suites. He will pick me up the next morning before dawn. Yessir, Survivor Dave.

So I guess my trek will be beginning two days earlier. Now I'm really getting nervous.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Get on it! And I took your profile picture. Beautiful Lake George in the background! Get on it! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete