Thursday, March 21, 2013

Icicle

Last night was brutal. When we woke up temperatures were in the teens not including wind chill which can only begin to describe how frigid it was last night. To bed I wore: four pairs of socks, three pairs of pants, a shirt, a fleece and a wind jacket with the hood up while inside my sleeping bag and I still had next to no feeling in my legs. I slept for maybe 4 hours total and restlessly at that. The snow falling sounded like mice bombarding my tent cover from all sides. I also slept with my head lamp on and mace within reach.

Breakfast was simple - a bit of oatmeal and a bit of a semi-frozen Cliff Bar, made over my isobutane stove. With the wind as aggressive as it was I was thankful for my stove while watching all of the guys with alcohol stoves struggle to get their stores started.

We set off around 9:00am, aiming for Woody Gap, foolishly not looking at the elevation charts for the day. After a long downhill the first mountain rose in front of us - Sassafrass Mountain. The going was slow but we made it to the top in decent time. They always say that down is harder and good lord is that true. Knees, toes, balance all out of whack. Immediately after coming down from Sassafrass we hit Justus Mountain (I thought it was spelled "Justice" which would've been much more appropriate). Same thing again immediately. Yeowch.

At 10 miles in we decide to go the last 3.5 miles for Woody Gap which I had falsely believed would be a breeze. At this point two more people joined out crew - Couch and Turtle. Turtle and I led the way but my walk down the mountain was slow and slippery - the last mile to Woody Gap was a trail cut along the side of the mountain which was wet and muddy in several places, begging for us to loose our footing on our wobbly legs and slip to our deaths.

Thankfully we made it to the gap and relaxed in the parking lot until the shuttle arrived to take us into Suches to what looks to be the only business. General store/pizzeria/lounge downstairs and hostel upstairs. With the night threatening to be even colder than last night a room with four walls could not be more welcome even if I am sleeping on the floor (which I am). A shower, a few slices of pizza and two PBR tall boys later I could not be happier.

Tomorrow we slack-pack to Blood Mountain which will be our first peak over 5,000 feet - should be a doozy. Just hoping (desperately) to beat the rain.

Cat holes dug to date: 0



No comments:

Post a Comment