Friday, March 8, 2013

Two Weeks til Springer Mountain

Two weeks from right now I will be somewhere in the Georgian wilderness. That night I will sleep in my brand new tent (assembled once, in my parents' living room), in my brand new sleeping bag (I tried it out once, it fits) making dinner on a tiny camp stove that I have yet to use in a ultralight titanium pot. The food I make will be freeze-dried an out of a pouch - just add water.

This is going to be bad. Bring on the moonshine.

Sometimes I wonder if I have gotten so caught up in the grandeur and beauty of what I am going to be doing that I have overlooked the things that will really be my day to day on the trail. The blisters, lost toenails, aching muscles and stiff joints. The bears, feral pigs, mosquitos, ticks, rattlesnakes, moose and rodents (which carry ticks). The filtering my own water from a stream and making food over an open flame (somehow I don't think my French culinary training will come in handy in the slightest).

But the views. Oh the views. And the beauty of nature and fresh air and that incredible sense of accomplishment that comes with meeting your mileage goals at the end of the day. I think that will make up for it.

I aim to make it to Harper's Ferry, West Virginia by the end of May. At that point I have a wedding that I need to attend back in California and I will take the time to figure out if I want to continue on to Kahtadin. Realistically I don't have the faintest idea if I will continue on and I don't want to.

It's an adventure. And I can't wait to see what it brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment