Thursday, March 28, 2013

Slip n Slide

I keep on learning out here on the AT. Last night I learned how to hang my bear bag since we were at the first shelter without bear cables. First, of course, I managed to throw my entire rope out into a tree and had to fish it out with an extended hiking pole. Thankfully Z-man was there to help. He showed me all the loops to tie and the correct way to throw my rope (hint: overhand and for gods sake hold onto the other end) and hoisted my bag up for me.

I've found that, in general, men have easier trail names than women. All you have to do is add the word "man" to the end and you're pretty much set - G-man, Z-man, Goat Man, and the list goes on. Women don't get that same luxury. First world problems?

Last night was frigid. Even with my 20 degree liner I kept waking up, interrupting some very enjoyable dreams. In one I dreamt that I met RG3. We commiserated over our knee pain and love of the Redskins. Thanks for the wake up call, nature / thanks for nothing.

The morning was tough as well. The heat from yesterday partially melted the snow but the well below freezing temperatures last night caused everything to freeze into sheets of ice that lined the entire trail. From 9am until about 11:30am the entire trek was one big slip and slide up and down the mountains.

We got to the campsite at around 3:00pm and lucked out again with space in the shelter. Another thing I've learned? How to get a campfire started no matter how wet the tinder is. And that everything burns. Everything. As long as its hot enough. Do I condone throwing snickers bar wrappers into the fire? No. But wheat isn't me and that pursuant flame helps to thaw my toes? I'm not complaining. I'm also not complaining when a fellow hiker offers me a BLP at the end of a long day. Trail magic? You rule.

Tonight I'm testing the theory that one pair of socks will keep my feet warmer than two. Ill report back from the warmth of a hotel tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment