Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pointless Ups and Downs

Today was supposed to rain just south of where we were so some of our group opted to stay in the nice toasty cabin with the HBO, kitchenette and shower. Turtle and I weren't ready for a zero yet so we opted to go another 11 miles to hopefully outrun the storm - and I think we just might've.

The trek was not quite as difficult as yesterday, but it certainly felt it. I did manage to shed about 6 pounds of weight from my pack before leaving (ain't nobody got time for that) so that lightened the load but it was still nowhere near the joy of slack packing. The mud was a doozy too - I was somewhere between glad that on the downhills that it cushioned my knees from the impact and furious that every step uphill I slid about an inch back.

We made it in decent time and got to camp around 4:00pm where we found Noodles, Stupid, Knut and a few guys we have been with every day were already there and, miracle of miracles, had managed to start a blazing fire out of wet wood by the time we arrived. And thankfully they had exactly enough room for Turtle and I in the shelter. One guy even hung a huge tarp to cover the front in case of any sideways rain tonight - screw you hypothermia.

Noodles is a trip. Big guy from Chicago that smokes like a chimney, walking around with one sock on inside his crocks while the other one burned in the fire pit (I guess they ran out of tinder?) and coercing us to play Crazy Eights "Chicago Style" and poking fun at me every chance he got (I know, it's easy).

After a round of Eights and a few unsuccessful attempts to relieve myself in the wilderness (what is wrong with me?!) we called it a night. Here's hoping the mice leave this shelter in peace tonight.

Bears seen: 0
Cat holes dug: 0

15 miles tomorrow - longest day yet. Lets hope we all sleep through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment