Thursday, March 21, 2013

Today We Learn How To Camp

As I mentioned, I have never been camping prior to this very moment as I sit in my one person tent taking my lovely new tent on her maiden voyage. It is still light outside but I desperately want to warm up before the sun sets and frigidity sets in. It is supposed to be 22 degrees Fahrenheit tonight with some aggressive wind. The rain is supposed to start tomorrow.

So far it seems as though my tent assembly skills are not too shabby. My tent is upright, staked with all 8 stakes and when the wind blows I don't want to die of hypothermia just to escape the cold. Success number one.

The day started early - at 5:50am in the lobby of the La Quinta Inn & Suites. Lovely, really, and would have been more so if I had slept the night before. It was there that I met my first travel buddy - Karen. We exchanged a few brief introductions before Survivor Dave showed up to take us off to Gainesville.

I was, predictably, chatty, as I tend to be when I'm nervous. Karen was much quieter. At the Amtrak station in Gainesville we picked up British David from New York City. There was a bit of a scuffle between Survivor Dave and a can driver that set us back a bit but we got back on the road around 8:30am.

Next stop? IHop. Because what do I need the morning after Red Lobster? IHop. It was admittedly not bad - they managed, at least, to cook the eggs right and the bathrooms were relatively clean. It seems silly now, after using the privy at the shelter and refilling the bucket with wood chips to help with the stench and eating my upsettingly undercooked freeze dried Pad Thai dinner (my own fault, but still).

From there, a quick drop off of water to offer up some trail magic to other hikers and ourselves when we eventually got there before speeding off along a dangerous dirt rode to the base of Springer Mountain.

Survivor Dave, after thoroughly shooting down most of my belongings (note to future self: do not bring a bear bell, a "spare" pot or wear pink nail polish for your first day on the trail), helped me to rid my pack of everything unnecessary (including a good bit of my food) before sending us on our way.

Before heading north we had to first venture south to summit Springer Mountain. The 0.9 mile hike was relatively easy and the views phenomenal. We signed our names in the trail book and off we went.

We made great time over the first four miles and eventually decided it was time to stop for lunch. I decided to take my first foray into peeing in the woods. When I finally found a suitable place and dropped trow my nerves got the better of me and I just couldn't do it. Hopefully I will get over that tomorrow (it can't be worse than that privy...)

Aside from some stubbed toes, we arrived at the campsite safe and sound along with about 20 of our fellow hikers. Shockingly almost everyone set up a hammock or tent and only two people opted to sleep in the shelter. I, for one, in addition to setting up my own tent (with much help): filtered my own water to replenish my bottles, cooked my own dinner over my tiny stove (after first nearly lighting myself on fire), and hung my food from the lines provided to keep it away from bears.

Pretty proud if I do say so myself. Fingers crossed I make it through the night without freezing.

xoxo







1 comment:

  1. Greetings.
    Congrats again on an amazing feat.
    Just to let you know, I still have your bear bell(collection is now about 12-15), a pink shirt, and that huge extra cook pot! Your extra food made it to The Hiker Hostel Hiker Box, but didn't want to put your nail polish in. I gave it to a bear! If you want the pot, shirt, and bear bell back, lemme know!
    Be well,
    Survivor Dave

    ReplyDelete